Community Forum

Storage Treasures is owned and operated by highly experienced storage industry experts. On top of that we have several Auction Pro Contributors who write weekly articles for you (find their blogs below). Ask them your questions here!

shipping container auctions - where are they?

Postby Ted Watson » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:22 pm

I've spend several evenings googling every combination of search terms I could come up with to try to locate some of the 'shipping container' auctions I see on Storage Wars from time to time. How do I locate these. There are several areas within 100 miles of me that have overseas and commercial shipping but I don't find any type of auction listed. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks...
Ted Watson

Re: shipping container auctions - where are they?

Postby Storage Treasures » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:21 pm

Ted,

I think you are referring to the Storage Wars shows where the storage units are shipping containers? If so those are just normal storage facilities that uses shipping containers for storage units. BTW they make great storage units at that...

If you are talking about full shipping containers that duty or tax has not been paid or maybe they were never picked up you would most likely be looking for a government auction or possibly a shipping company. They are easy to find, there are only about 6-7 big ones. I will as Dan Dotson what he knows of these container auctions.

ST
Storage Treasures
Site Admin

Postby Joe Ross » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:10 pm

To add to what ST said:

Try looking for auctions held by Moving Companies.

As well as those places that deliver a container to you house or business, you pack it, then they pick it all up. PODs, Pack Rat, and there are a few others, cant think of them all right now.

There is another kept secret on containers, and it is those over sea containers. You know those really big containers that they put on and take off of cargo ships. I have only heard about them, but I have never been to one, or even any of the details on how to get info on them.
Joe Ross

Postby Ted Watson » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:01 am

Thanks for the ideas. I live fairly close to a large over-seas shipping port. That's what I was thinking of. If I come up with any info, I'll post it here. :)
Ted Watson

Postby jim mutell » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:11 pm

containerbid.com
jim mutell

Postby Larry Hymer » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:06 pm

jim mutell wrote:containerbid.com

This is a great site if you are looking to purchase containers, however these are just containers with nothing in them.
Larry Hymer

Postby Tom Litton » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:54 pm

Larry Hymer wrote:
jim mutell wrote:containerbid.com

This is a great site if you are looking to purchase containers, however these are just containers with nothing in them.

I might be able to clarify things Larry. There are self storage facilities all around the U.S. made out of used ocean cargo containers. When facilities are constructed out of cargo containers, they are operated just like "purpose built" facilities and adhere to the sale lien laws in terms of foreclosure. Therefore, you would find their auctions in the same ways you would find standard self storage auctions; i.e., storagetreasures.com, auctionzip.com, etc.

When containers are shipped, they are loaded by the shipper (usually at the manufacturer/shippers location), shipped via truck to a port or rail terminal, transported by the carrier (shipping company, either railroad or ship), usually intermodal (containers are uniform in size & construction and can be shipped by ship, rail or truck) and delivered locally by common carriers (truckers). Therefore, the cargo contained inside would not be subject foreclosure. You may have seen a cargo container facility on television and this can be confusing. I only know of this as I once built a storage facility in Honolulu and shipped the entire facility via intermodal, cargo containers.
Tom Litton

Postby Jeff Desantis » Wed May 16, 2012 8:19 am

Containerbid appears to be dead, and it looks like containerauction.com also does empties. Not exactly what I was looking for, but just for reference.
Jeff Desantis

Postby Addie Turner » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:03 am

I both sell and lease shipping containers and semi trailers for storage. We send our units directly to the customer. Are you interested in a container for personal storage or are you looking to find containers with items inside for auction?

In my business, I have only held an auction once. Although we do occasionally have to repossess Containers or trailers that are full, most of the time we work out other payment arrangements. Most owners really want the contents of a unit. In turn, I really want them to walk away with their goods. I am in the storage business, not the auction business. :)

I have two types of customers. I typically only sell to homeowners. I do both rentals and sales to businesses. I have found working with homeowners/personal storage is best left to companies that can cater to them.

I would imagine that PODS, PackRat and now Mobile Mini would be great sources for auction items. They specialize in personal storage for homeowners.

If you want to buy a container for storage, I am not sure an auction is the best source. This is what I do for a living we often see auctioned equipment for higher pricing than we can find elsewhere. It is like everything else, know the market ahead of time and don't overpay. I am certain that there are deals to be had. I have never seen an auction that only sells containers. It would be typical that they are part of a larger heavy equipment auction.

Container prices are based on the market. Usually, the closer you are to a port city, the less expensive a container will be. I sell most of my storage containers in Atlanta, GA. I do sales in other states, so I can find equipment anywhere. Some areas are more of a challenge than others.I would say most storage container providers are like me, they have suppliers and relationships that give them inventories that are not open to the public. I also have the proper equipment to deliver sea cargo containers and trailers and skilled drivers to drop them. If it were me, I'd find a reputable dealer in the industry. At the very least, you may just chat with them and pick up a little information.

My site, if I can answer any questions for you:

atlas-leasing.com/about/equipment/containers/
Addie Turner

Postby Saundra Vereen » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:47 pm

So we don't know where to find the filled, shipped, storage containers? I would think the East Coast should have some. I tried to listen on Auction Hunters to where they were exactly on two shows featuring storage containers, but couldn't identify. The overseas ones sound most interesting. The show I just watched had 72 for auction. Somebody posted that we could contact the shipping companies and that there are only 6-7 big ones. Anyone know who they would be? I'll call and let you know.
Saundra Vereen

Next

Return to Ask The Experts